POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lake View, or: wow reflection blur + iso can be slow [~50K Jpg] : Re: Lake View, or: wow reflection blur + iso can be slow [~50K Jpg] Server Time
18 Aug 2024 16:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lake View, or: wow reflection blur + iso can be slow [~50K Jpg]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Apr 2001 09:05:57
Message: <3ACC6DB6.AA3DA529@gmx.de>
"Bob H." wrote:

> normally until the last 20 lines or so.  It took a couple hours (or less) to
> get to the part where the reflection of the nearby hillside shows up in the
> water.  From there it was doing one line every few minutes and steadily got
> slower.

That's fairly normal for isosurface & reflection, reflection blur even
more.  Usually in such a scene i would expect the horizon part to be quite
slow too.

Before the last 20 lines there is not much of the isosurface to be
reflected so things are probably quite fast.  I would estimate that the
mountain reflections in the lake are the part which is slowest.

> I do very little with reflection_blur but I suspect that could be why, the
> combination of it and isosurface.  No kidding, huh?
> Some 4 hours to finish for this size, was hoping to get a much larger one
> made quicker, once it's ready.  Not so sure now  :-)

Just add some radiosity and you will find everything before extremely fast
:-)

Nice scene BTW, the clouds look quite good, just the rim of the lake seems
a bit steep.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>